Friday, January 1, 2010

Disney World

So I have been putting off typing this post forever. I have really wanted to do it, but I know it is going to be long because I want to type everything we did. Not that other people care so much, but I want to make sure to remember our trip. We left for Disney World the day after Thanksgiving. We have been talking to Ethan about it for pretty much he past year. He knew he was going to Mickey's house and that he would see all Mickey's friends and get to go swimming.

We went with my parents, Kevin, Shannon and Sophia. The three of us flew down on Saturday. The plane ride was pretty uneventful. It was nice to have him in his carseat because he didn't think he could get out. He slept a lot of the time but then before we landed I tried to take him into the restroom to change his diaper. BAD IDEA. He freaked out when we got into the tiny space of a bathroom, then when I tried to figure out how to lay him down, I bashed his head on the wall. Needless to say, we didn't change a thing. I strapped him back into his seat, which he wanted nothing to do with at that point and listened to him cry the rest of the ride about how I hit his head.

We checked into the hotel and got some dinner that night. It worked out well because we were all tired and were able to go to bed early. They had a great daybed in the room with a rail that Ethan slept in. It was rough sleeping in the same room, but it worked out.

The next day we went to Epcot in the morning before everyone else arrived. We went on a few rides and stood in line to see all the characters. I knew this would be the highlight of his trip. I guess that is why I did not pull him out of line when he had to go to the bathroom. BAD IDEA. Poor kid met all the characters he had been waiting so long to see with soaking wet pants. Rest of the morning spent trying to find new pants.







We went back for naps and then met everyone else for dinner at Cinderella's castle! It was so much fun. Sophia was dressed up in her princess dress and we got to meet Cinderella herself. Ethan wasn't so fond of the characters who were actual people. He would much rather be around the ones who were just big stuffed animals.

The entertainment during dinner was great...granted Ethan and I heard most of it from the restroom where he was trying to go potty. By the end of the trip, we reverted to just begging him to go in his diaper. After sitting on the floor of a restroom in the Magic Kingdom trying to hold him up on the toilet, I agreed to give up on all of the hard work we spent the past few weeks before the trip trying to potty train him. BAD IDEA. He now is back to square one.

Princess Sophia





Ethan after his chocolate ice cream.


The castle!


The next day we went to Animal Kingdom which Ethan loved. We took both kids on Bug's Life, which for those of you who have been on it is very loud and kinda scary. It is a 3D movie with lots of darkness and loud noises. We forgot that part. I even had Ethan wearing the glasses. BAD IDEA. As soon as it started Sophie freaked and Kevin took her out. Ethan freaked as soon as the giant lizard started attacking his face with its tongue. I took his glasses off and he was much better. Not thrilled, but he made it through. To this day he still says he liked the bug movie but hated those glasses. Hopefully he has good eyesight because he will probably always be terrified of glasses now.

Sophia ready for the park




We took a train ride over to another part of the park that we had never been. We had been promising Ethan that he would get to ride a train, so we thought that would be worth it. The train took us to a little island where there were animals and a petting zoo. He was ecstatic. His face was priceless when he saw all the animal pictures everywhere and the life size pictures of animals throughout the building.

Boys...they are all the same.




This just shows how excited he was the entire time.




When my dad made the reservations, he told them it was Ethan and Sophia's birthdays, their anniversary and I think our family reunion. Every time we did anything, they would give us a cake with candles, pictures with Happy Birthday, or in this case...cookies and candy waiting in our room.


The next day we had breakfast with Chef Mickey. Ethan was in heaven because he got to see "Pretty Minnie" again.

On the monorail on the way to breakfast






Sophie in her Minnie Mouse dress


We spent the afternoon letting Ethan swim in the pool. He had been looking forward to that for months. He was so proud because he could swim by himself using his swimmies. He would have stayed in that pool forever. Joe was freezing but Ethan didn't care one bit.



That night we took Ethan back into the Magic Kingdom. He was so excited to go on the rides. The first one we headed to was Goofy's rollercoaster. We had been talking about this ride forever because he loves rollercoasters and was going to ride this one with Daddy. They waited in line and I got the camera out. It was a pretty big coaster so I was a little apprehensive. He is tall for his age and just made the height requirement of 38 inches.

They got on the ride and I waited and waited and waited. Nothing. No more coasters are going by. People are getting out of line. No sign of Joe or Ethan. I walk up the exit ramp to find out that they are on the ride halfway up the first hill. Nice. First ride we take him on and they are stuck. It took awhile and they had to call the fire department to come get them off but he was fine.

They gave us passes to get us to the front of the line on any rides we wanted. That would have been helpful if we realized what they were a little sooner. We waited in line for a few more rides before we figured it out. It was great though because then we were able to ride a bunch of rides really quickly before we left.

The rollercoaster that they didn't get to ride


Mommy, Grandpa and Ethan on the teacups





Waiting for the parade to start


Watching the parade with Daddy


Ethan was obsessed with these Mickey ears....up until the point we paid for them. Then he wanted nothing to do with them. I made him at least take this picture...he looks thrilled, doesn't he?



The last morning we had one last character breakfast. Ethan hated the Mad Hatter while we were there, but now he can't stop talking about him.

Sophia loved every single character. She was hugging and kissing each and every one of them. Watch out Daddy...she is a lover!

We had a wonderful time and it was a perfect couple of days. The kids couldn't have lasted much longer though and I don't think the adults could have either. It was so nice to have my parents house to drive down to and relax for the rest of the vacation.

2 comments:

The Toman Triumphs said...

Looks and sounds like you guys had sooo much fun!

Jenny said...

What a treat it was to read this post - sounds like you had a lot of fun, and brought back tons of great memories! Love the pics. Ethan is a doll! Can't wait to meet his little sister! ;)